There are many different health benefits of chocolate. In fact, dark chocolate can be a good source of antioxidants, calcium and other nutrients that are essential to healthy living.
1. It Boosts Heart Health: When it’s made from high-quality cocoa, chocolate can help lower your cholesterol and blood pressure. It also helps protect your heart from the oxidation of lipids, which can cause heart disease and other cardiovascular problems.
2. It Reduces Risk of Diabetes: The antioxidants in chocolate help control blood sugar levels, which can reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
3. It Improves Memory: The phenolic compounds in chocolate are known to boost memory and mental performance. This includes boosting attention, processing speed and cognitive function, notes Msora-Kasago.
4. It Promotes Bone Health: The magnesium and iron in chocolate help support bone health, which is vital for preventing osteoporosis and other degenerative conditions.
5. It Can Prevent Inflammation: The flavanols in chocolate can also fight inflammation, which is associated with a range of common ailments.
6. It Can Stimulate Energy: Caffeine and theobromine, the chemical compound found in cocoa beans, can help you feel more awake and alert. This is because they boost your metabolic rate and increase the amount of oxygen that’s delivered to your brain.
7. It Can Improve Sleep: The antioxidants in chocolate help your body maintain a balanced hormone balance, which can result in more restful sleep.
8. It Can Improve Gut Health: The soluble fiber in chocolate can help regulate the growth of bacteria and prevent digestive issues.
9. It Can Promote Immunity: The antioxidants in chocolate are great for keeping your immune system strong and protecting you against disease.
10. It Can Help Boost Bone Health: The minerals in dark chocolate can strengthen bones and teeth, helping you avoid fractures and other common health problems related to bone loss.
12. It Can Reduce Cholesterol Levels: The antioxidants in chocolate can help lower your cholesterol levels and keep your arteries clear of plaque.
13. It Can Promote a Healthy Gut: The soluble fiber in chocolate can help you regulate the growth of bacteria and prevent digestive issues, which are associated with a range of common ailments including obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
14. It Can Improve Sleep: The antioxidants in dark chocolate can help your body maintain a balanced hormone balance, leading to more restful sleep.
15. It Can Promote Immunity: The antioxidants and phenolic compounds in chocolate can help protect your immune system from disease.
16. It Can Improve Sleep: The antioxidants and phenolic compounds of chocolate can help boost your sleep.
17. It Can Reduce Cholesterol Levels: You’ve probably heard that chocolate can help reduce cholesterol, but you may not know that it can actually help lower oxidation-prone forms of the LDL fat that causes heart disease and other problems.
18. It Can Help Boost Bone Health: If you’re eating a healthy diet, it’s likely you’ve been taking supplemental vitamins and minerals to keep your bones healthy. In addition to calcium and iron, dark chocolate is rich in phosphorus, zinc, and copper.